What I Learnt By Spending Time With Blind and Partially Sighted Children


So yesterday (1st of April, 2023), for the fist time ever, I joined my friends from the Catholic Youth Organization Nigeria (CYON) for a charity visit to Pacelli School For The Blind And Partially Sighted Children in Surulere, Lagos.

What I saw there blew my mind and strengthened my belief that nothing is impossible. 

At Pacelli, I saw lots of children who were either blind or partially sighted do amazing things like: play melodies on musical instruments, walk without bumping into people or objects, play a soccer match, skip on the playground, swing and even ride a merry-go-round without any aid.

I quickly noticed how intelligent, polite, friendly and well organized the children are. 

You won't believe it but, two of these children actually took me on a tour around the school compound and told me exactly where we were in the school at every point of the tour. Amazing right!

While bonding with some of these children, I was inspired by the joy and excitement on thier faces while they shared thier future aspirations, favorite subjects, and hobbies with me. 

These children know no impossibility, and that was something that I found empowering. 

I was still having a good time getting to know some of these amazing children when a bell rang. It was time for choir practice and I was amazed at how the children matched to the hall where they were to have thier practice. 

I'm talking about blind and partially sighted childen walk down the stairs from thier hostels and from their playground to a hall for thier choir practice, with no aid and at normal walking pace. 

During their choir practice, I joined my friends from CYON in cleaning the school compound. While at it, someone said "any person having a difficult time coping with life should visit Pacelli to see these happy and limitless children for inspiration" and I couldn't agree more. 

After we had finished cleaning. We went to listen to the childen sing - their voice was angelic. 

It all felt like magic. Belive me, God is wonderful. The human body and mind is an amazing machine. 

At about 12pm, we made gift donations to the school and took some pictures. 

Philanthropy is a beautiful life experience, and if you have the resources or opportunity to support others please do.

Before I drop my pen, I wanted you to know that the most inspiring part of my experience at Pacelli was the love and empathy these children had for one another. At the playground, I saw the selfless act of children supporting other children - happiness was shared freely. It was truly beautiful.

Your challenges should never stop you from blessing the world with the gift of your uniqueness.  You are a star. 

Be encouraged. Thank you for reading 😊

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WINNING PEOPLE OVER

EFFECTIVE FOLLOW UP

ENHANCING CREATIVITY